Tips to Handle Lockout Situations
Getting locked out of your own house or car can be anybody’s worst nightmare. However, a lockout situation can happen to anyone at any time at the office, at home or in your car. There are various reasons for people to get locked out and one common incidence is people who are in a hurry but forgets to bring their keys with them, only to realize that when the lock is already in place. You may also face a lockout situation when your door lock is faulty or you got your keys stuck on them. Standing in front of your locked door can be frustrating but there are ways for you to handle such situations smartly and calmly. If in the near future you are unfortunate enough to be in a lockout situation, here are tips on how to handle them and to get you inside as soon as possible.
1. First thing you need to do is to keep yourself calm and collected. You need to avoid getting into panic mode and resort to shouting for help as this may put you into a more precarious situation than you are already in.
2. Check your pockets. Being in a hurry gets you flustered and may sometimes trick your mind into thinking things. There might be a possibility that you just misplaced your keys or you overlooked them. This is why keeping yourself calm is important in these types of situations. Keeping a clear mind will help you remember where you placed your keys.
3. Keep your spare key in an area that is well-hidden but easily accessed by you in times when you need it.
4. Giving a spare key to a family member or friend should be something you have done beforehand. If you are away from the location of your own spare key, you can then contact the person you gave the spare key to and manage to get you out of this lockout situation.
5. Check out your alternatives. Try to locate other possible entry points for you to try on. Check out your back door or windows that you can open. Trying to break a window or your door should be your last option.
6. If no other entry point is available then you may try to break your lock. If what you have is a manual lock, then you may succeed in breaking it open. However, if what you have is an electronic lock then this might be the time for you to call a locksmith for assistance as these types of locks are harder to handle.
7. Getting a locksmith that is trustworthy and reliable is an easy feat if you have already done your research before emergency situations happen. By doing so beforehand, you have ample time to really get to know the company and check if they employ certified and licensed locksmiths. This is all worth the effort as you are putting the security of your property in the hands of a stranger now. It is also a good idea to ask for referrals and recommendations from friends and family for locksmiths near you.
There is no need to be nervous when you get into a lockout situation. Just call us at Legacy Locksmith and our trusty locksmiths will be there to help you. Our services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Licensed and Bonded.