Are Locksmiths Worth It? Pros and Cons of Hiring a Professional Locksmith
Have you ever been stuck out of your house or car and had to call a locksmith? If so, you probably know just how valuable their services can be in a time of need. But are locksmiths worth the cost, or is it better to find a DIY solution?
What is a Locksmith?First, let’s define what a locksmith is. A locksmith is a trained professional specializing in installing locks, repairing, and replacing other lock types, windows, and entry points. Locksmiths can also provide key cutting, key duplication, and programming keyless entry systems. Locksmiths may work for a locksmith Roswell GA company or own their own business. Some locksmiths specialize in automotive locksmithing, while others focus on commercial properties or traditional locksmith services.
Pros of Hiring a Locksmith
- Professional Service: When you hire a locksmith, you can be sure you’re getting professional, high-quality service. Locksmiths are trained and certified to handle a wide range of locks and security systems, and they have the necessary skills and tools to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
- Problem-Solving: Locksmiths are problem solvers by nature. They are trained to diagnose and solve lock-related issues, from broken keys to malfunctioning ones. They can even help you get back into your car if you’ve locked yourself out.
- Security Systems: Locksmiths are experts in all security systems, including biometric scanners, keyless entry systems, and security cameras. They can help you pick the right system for your needs and install it to ensure maximum security.
- Flexible Locksmith Career: If you’re interested in a career as a locksmith, you’ll find that it offers both creativity and flexibility. You can work for a locksmith company or start your own business and choose to specialize in automotive locksmith, commercial properties, or traditional locksmith services.
- Financial Aid: Many locksmith training programs offer financial aid to assist you in paying for your education. This can be a great option if you’re interested in a flexible career as a locksmith but need more funds to pay for training upfront.
- Locksmith Training and Certification: To become a professional locksmith, you must undergo specialized training and certification. Locksmith training courses teach you the necessary skills and knowledge to work with various locks and security systems. After completing your training, you can obtain certification from a recognized locksmith association such as the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA).
Cons of Hiring a Locksmith
- Cost: One of the most common drawbacks of hiring a locksmith is the cost. Locksmiths can be expensive, especially if you need emergency services outside of regular business hours. However, when you consider the value of their services, it’s often worth the cost.
- Few Surprises: While locksmiths are great at solving problems, they rarely perform superhero magic. You may get a different answer than you hoped if you have a particularly difficult or unique lock situation.
- Criminal Record: If you’re interested in pursuing a career as a locksmith, remember that most states require locksmiths to undergo a criminal background check. If you have a criminal record, this could limit your job opportunities.
Why Hire a Locksmith?There are several reasons why you must hire a locksmith. Here are a few of the most typical situations and requests where a locksmith can help:
- Locked out of your property
- Need to install or repair a lock
- Want to upgrade your security system
- Lost or broken key
- Want to rekey your locks
- Need a duplicate key
- Want to install a keyless entry system