What to do if you are locked out of the house?
It can be stressful and frustrating when you find out that you got yourself locked out in your house. And they happen to come at us at the most inconvenient of times. There is an abundance of reasons why you might find yourself locked out of your house, and more often than not, these reasons help you figure out a way to ensure that you are never locked out again. The most common one being that you were in a hurry and grabbing your keys slipped your mind. Other times it is because your locks are worn out and the pins on them have jammed causing your keys to get stuck. It’s no fun being locked out but it is a common occurrence and is bound to happen to anyone of us in the future. If you are reading this because you got locked out of your own house, then here are some tips you can check out that will get you out of this inconvenient dilemma
1. First thing you need to do is to remain calm and collected. Getting into panic mode will not help you get out of this stressful situation. You should avoid shouting for help as you might attract attention from the wrong type of people.
2. Carefully check your pockets or bag for your keys. Most of the times, with so many things going on in our mind, some things get overlooked. Double-check your bag and see if your keys are just in there hidden under piles of stuff.
3. Access duplicates. Keep a spare key that only you know and can be easily accessed by you. Giving spare keys to someone you trust like a relative or friend is also a good idea as you can contact them during lockout situations to help you. You may not welcome the idea of handing out spare keys to people you know, this is why it is important to choose only the ones you can trust and really rely on. They prove to be very helpful during a lockout situation.
4. If numbers 1 to 3 do not apply to you then look for another way in. Breaking your door or window should be at the bottom of your list. Try checking out alternatives like the back door or a window that you can open and squeeze into. Although it is never a good idea to leave your back doors or any window for security reasons, sometimes they serve a good purpose for times like this.
5. When doing the previous steps above did not work for you, then you may have to check the type of lock you have and decide whether you can break it or not. If you have a manual lock on, then breaking it may be possible. You can also try the credit card trick where you try wedging the card between the door and the frame while you press and jiggle the handle with good force. This step takes time and effort but they sometimes work depending on the lock that you have.
6. If what you have is an electronic or automated lock, you will need assistance and your best bet is to call your local locksmith for help. This is why it is best to have a locksmith you already know beforehand. Doing research on the best locksmith in town before really needing one is helpful as it will help you narrow down the best and certified locksmiths. You are basically giving your property up into the hands of a stranger and getting licensed and insured locksmith will ensure that you will be out of this lockout situation without incurring any huge damages in your property.
Getting locked out in your own house is a nightmare nobody wants to be in. If you are looking for the best locksmiths in town to help you get out of such a stressful situation, look no further with Legacy Locksmith. We are a reputable company composed of licensed and bonded locksmiths who are experts at handling lockout situations. Our services are available 24/7.