How to Open Door Lock With Hole – How to Unlock a Door With a Hole?
Does your door have a hole in the lock? As the world progresses, more and more people are opting for doors with keyless entry. However, sometimes you may come across a door that still has a keyhole or is widely called a privacy lock.
Luckily these types of locks are easier to unlock compared to deadbolts or other modern locks. If you happen to have a door with a hole in the lock, you don’t have to worry about unlocking it. This blog post will teach you how to open a door lock with a hole! This is an easy and convenient way to get into your home or office when locked out.
What is the Door Lock Hole Called?
The door lock hole is also known as the keyhole. It is a small hole that is located on the doorknob. The purpose of this hole is to allow a key to enter and turn the knob to open the door. However, over time the term “keyhole” has become synonymous with “privacy locks.” Why?
This is because they are widely used in bathrooms and bedrooms where privacy is needed. And since the bedroom and bathroom are where people mostly stay alone, these privacy locks are designed to be unlocked easily in an emergency.
Types of Privacy Locks
For you to be able to understand how to open a door lock with a hole, you must first know the different types of privacy locks. There are two kinds of privacy locks:
- Turn Button Privacy Locks: This type of lock is often used in bathrooms and bedrooms. Its locking mechanism works by pushing the turn button on the inside of the doorknob.
- Push Button Privacy Locks: This type of lock is mostly used in commercial settings. You can activate it by pushing down the button on the inside knob. It has a higher level of security since it cannot be unlocked from the outside with a paperclip or any other object.
- Privacy Bolt Lever Locks: This is the third type of privacy lock, and it is a combination of the two previous locks. You can lock it by pushing down the button AND turning the knob. This type is more difficult to unlock from the outside.
Three Common Methods to Open Door Lock with Hole
If you have this kind of lock mentioned above installed in your doors and get locked out in the future, this guide will come in handy! Let’s get started:
Using a Flat Head Screwdriver
This is one of the most common methods to open a door lock with a hole. You will need a small and thin screwdriver for this.
- Prepare Your Tools- The first step to opening a door lock with a hole is by preparing your tools. For this method, you are a screwdriver. These tools can be fished from a junk drawer or around the house. So, there is no reason to worry about where you can find them.
- Find the Key Hole- The second step to take is to find the keyhole. This is the tiny hole located on the doorknob. There are some privacy locks where you can see the keyhole outside, while some are hidden. If you can’t find it, try to feel around the doorknob until you locate it.
- Get Your Screwdriver- Once you have identified the hole, the next thing to do is to get your screwdriver. Don’t worry because you won’t be using it to unscrew anything. Instead, you will use the screwdriver’s handle to push the keyhole’s button. The size of the screwdriver should be able to fit snugly in the hole.
- Insert The Screwdriver in the Hole- Make sure your screwdriver is small enough to fit in the keyhole. This is to ensure that you won’t be damaging the hole. Once you have confirmed, go ahead and insert it in the hole.
- Wiggle the Screwdriver – When the screwdriver is finally inserted in the hole, the next thing to do is to wiggle it around. You need to do this until you feel the button inside the keyhole being pushed down.
- Turn the Screwdriver- After you feel the button is pushed down, the next thing to do is to turn the screwdriver until the door unlocks.
Use a Bobby Pin or Paperclip
If you don’t have a screwdriver at hand, you can also use a bobby pin or paperclip as an alternative. If you have a locked bathroom door, don’t panic as this is how you can open it easily.
- Get Your Bobby Pin or Paperclip- The first step is to get your bobby pin or paperclip. If you don’t have either of these objects, you can look for a safety pin or any other thin and small object that can be inserted into the keyhole.
- Straighten the Paperclip and Make a curve- The next step is straightening the paperclip. Once that’s done, make a small curve at the end. This will be used to push the button inside the keyhole.
- Identify The Key Hole- Just like what you did in the first method; you need to identify the keyhole. This time you will be using the bobby pin or paperclip to push the button inside, so it is important that you know where it is located.
- Insert The Bobby Pin or Paperclip- Once you have identified the keyhole, go ahead and insert the bobby pin or paperclip in it. Make sure that it is inserted all the way through.
- Wiggle The Bobby Pin or Paperclip- After the bobby pin or paperclip is inserted in the keyhole, the next thing to do is to wiggle it around. You need to do this until you feel the button is pushed down.
- Turn The Bobby Pin or Paperclip- When you feel the button is pushed down, the next thing to do is to turn the bobby pin or paperclip. You need to do this until you hear a click. You can now open the door!
Using a Coat Hanger
Another method you can try if you’re wondering how to open a door lock with a hole is using a coat hanger. This is how to do it:
- Get A Coat Hanger- The first step is to get a coat hanger. If you don’t have one, you can look for one in the garage or maybe find something else you can use as a substitute.
- Straighten the Hanger and Flatten the End- The next step is straightening the coat hanger. Once that’s done, flatten one of the ends. This will be used to push the button inside the keyhole.
- Insert the Flattened End in the Keyhole- Once you have a flattened end, insert it in the keyhole until you reach the button inside.
- Twist the Hanger- When the flattened end is already inserted in the keyhole, the next thing to do is to twist it. You need to do this until you feel the button is pushed down, and voila! The door is now unlocked.
As you can see, both three methods have the same concept. You need to find something thin and small that can be inserted into the keyhole, push the button inside, and turn it until you hear a click.
The only difference is the object that you will be using. However, although it may seem easier to use a bobby pin or paperclip, we still recommend using a screwdriver if you have one. This is because these objects are not meant to be inserted in keyholes, and they might get stuck. If this happens, you might need to call a locksmith to help you out.
At Legacy Locksmith, we are certain that we can help you with any lock-related problem that you may have. We have the right tools needed to open any door lock, and we also have the skills to do it efficiently. Contact us now, and let us help you!
Things to Avoid When Unlocking a Door With Hole
While unlocking a door knob with a hole may seem like an easy task, there are still some people who make mistakes. To avoid making these mistakes, here are some tips that you can follow:
- Don’t use too much force when pushing the button inside the keyhole. If you use too much force, you might end up breaking the button, and you will need to call a locksmith to fix it.
- When turning the bobby pin or paperclip, don’t twist it too hard. If you do, you might end up breaking the lock.
- Be careful not to scratch the door when inserting the bobby pin or paperclip in the keyhole. If you scratch it, you might need to repair or replace the door.
- Giving up too soon! Remember that it might take time and patience before you can successfully unlock it.
There are a few things that you need to avoid when trying to open the door with a hole. One wrong move, and you’ll be calling a locksmith to come and fix your door.
Emergency Method When All Else Fails
What other options do you have to do if the lock breaks or you’ve tried all the methods mentioned above and nothing seems to work? Then your last resort would be to call a locksmith. However, you can have several options if you are on a tight budget. Here are the following:
Use your Foot
If you are strong enough, you can try to kick the locked door. However, this is not recommended as it might damage the door frame. But if you come to a point where you have no other choice, then go for it. You should aim at the door now as it is the weakest part of the door.
Use a Hammer
If you have a hammer, you can use it to hit the door handle. This will loosen the screws and hopefully allow you to open the door. However, be ready because this method will also damage the door. To do this:
- Position the hammer near the door handle.
- Hit the door handle as hard as you can.
- If the screws are already loose, remove the door now and find the latch bolt.
- Using any item pull the latch bolt and the door will be open.
Removing the Hingers
Another way is to remove the hinger pins. For this method, you will need a screwdriver and a hammer. First, use the screwdriver to remove the screws holding the hinge. Once the screws are removed, use the hammer to hit it and hopefully loosen the hinge pin. After that, you can now remove the door from its frame.
Drill the Hole
When you are desperate to get in, you can try drilling a door hole. However, this should only be done as a last resort as it will damage the door. You will also need a drill, which most people don’t have. If this is your only option, then make sure to drill the hole in the middle of the doorknob. Avoid the drill from slipping as it might cause further damage to the door.
There are many ways to open the door with a hole. It all depends on what you have with you and how desperate you are to get in. If all else fails, the best thing to do would be to call a locksmith. They have the right tools and skills to open the door without causing damage.
Unsure if you can do all the methods correctly? Have no worries; our locksmiths at Legacy Locksmith can help you open the door in no time. We have the right tools and skills to do it efficiently. Contact locksmith Roswell GA now, and let us help you!
Contact us today for a free estimate
Our Address770 Old Roswell Pl
Roswell, GA 30076